When It is Far Too Dark

sad-guy-alone

Practical Thinking: When the Darkness Overwhelms

Depression has been called the “common cold” of mental disorders, and one source estimates that it disrupts the lives of 30 to 40 million Americans. For many, a “cold” isn’t even close to describing their depression; it is very challenging and destructive.

Here are several things that you can do right now:

• Avoid being alone.  Force yourself to be with people. (I know “force” is a strong word, but if that is what it takes!)
  • Seek help from others. This will require some humility.  Reach out to someone who will understand.
  • Sing. Music can uplift your spirit as it did for King Saul (1 Samuel 16:14-23). Get an iPod and fill it with good music. It is worth it.
  • Praise and give thanks.  This can really push back the darkness.  “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
  • Lean heavily on the power of God’s Word. Write out verses; listen to the teachers on Christian radio.
  • Rest confidently in the presence of God’s Spirit. “Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance” Psalm 42:5.  Remember that God is not against you, He is on your side.

“What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?”

Romans 8:31-32

“God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won’t stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns”

Philippians 1:6

Keep coming back to Brokenbelievers.  On this site you will find a lot of good teaching which can help you sort things out.  And if you “comment” on any post I will receive it, usually within a few hours at the most.  I’m not a medical professional, however I’m an evangelical pastor, with my own history of mental illness and major medical problems.  I will get right back to you.  And I can pray.

cropped-christiangraffiti1-2

k

See the book Healing for Damaged Emotions for more details, David A. Seamands, Healing for Damaged Emotions (Colorado Springs, Colorado: Chariot Victor Books, 1991) (ISBN: 0896939383). )

About Pastor Bryan Lowe

A repentant rascal with definite issues, but who is seeking to be authentic in his faith to Jesus Christ. An avid reader and a hopeful writer. Husband and father. A pastor and Bible teacher. A brain tumor survivor. Diagnosed with clinical depression, epilepsy, and now disabled. Enjoys life, such as it is, in Alaska.
This entry was posted in anxiety, believer, Bible promises, bipolar disorder, broken believers, confusion, depression, despair, despondancy, discipleship, effort made, encouragement, grace, isolation, Jesus Christ, mental illness, rest in God, Serving Mentally Ill Christians, understanding, wisdom, worship and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to When It is Far Too Dark

1. Tina says:

Only found this box after I left other comment…please will you read comment higher up and respond to me…..thank you thank you thank you. ….

2. Tina says:

Please will you respond to me pastor Bryan….I so need this stuff… Iam so so bad…and so in need of help….thank you thank you thank you.

Please respond
    Tina

3. Tina says:

Oh here is the place to leave a comment….l couldn’t find it…
    Thank you so so so much Pastor Bryan…please will you pray for me… please will you help me find the love of Jesus.

Thank you so much….I posted up higher cos I coul

4. samuel stewart says:

I have a problem with other christians who are well meaning but dont agree with mental health/psyc meds…..they just dont get it …im bi polarand am in deep depression right now…i thank God for your ministry……you validate the fact i can be a christian and have mental illness….thank you brother,sam.

• samuel stewart says:

• Yep, I simply aware of the issues. Incredibly I am disturbed by their silliness. Simply, they haven’t thought these things out.

• Tina says:

Dear Pastor Bryan
        I have been coming here a lot… I so need this site. … I to am so eaten by guilt and remorse.. and everything everything you have said…in this article. …oh dear God help …I just want to go home to Jesus….will you respond to me Bryan.. even if just to say you will pray…please respond…Tina

5. Ray's Mom says:

Another outstanding post. God bless

6. Thank you for the pingback Pastor Bryan, I appreciate this very much, you seem to be a very kind and caring man and as we have walked the same road, we can both read the sign posts that cause suffering. ( see link below ) I hope to start with a disabled friend, a phone support for others that are disabled and would greatly value your prayers.

Blog Post – http://freedomborn.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/we-are-not-just-a-number/

I seek to share with others what they can most identify with and having had my heart broken more than once I felt the need to share this message, it’s adapted and I do not know the original Author but some of it’s message comes from my heart too. The only person who has never let me down is The Lord, as you can see from the Scripture below.

Isaiah 43:1-3 – Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.”

Jeremiah 29 :11-12 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Lamentations 3: 33 For He doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.

Christian Love from both of us -Anne