Practical Thinking: When the Darkness Overwhelms
Depression has been called the “common cold” of mental disorders, and one source estimates that it disrupts the lives of 30 to 40 million Americans. For many, a “cold” isn’t even close to describing their depression; it is very challenging and destructive.
Here are several things that you can do right now:
- Avoid being alone. Force yourself to be with people. (I know “force” is a strong word, but if that is what it takes!)
- Seek help from others. This will require some humility. Reach out to someone who will understand.
- Sing. Music can uplift your spirit as it did for King Saul (1 Samuel 16:14-23). Get an iPod and fill it with good music. It is worth it.
- Praise and give thanks. This can really push back the darkness. “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
- Lean heavily on the power of God’s Word. Write out verses; listen to the teachers on Christian radio.
- Rest confidently in the presence of God’s Spirit. “Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance” Psalm 42:5. Remember that God is not against you, He is on your side.
“What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?”
“God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won’t stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns”
Keep coming back to Brokenbelievers. On this site you will find a lot of good teaching which can help you sort things out. And if you “comment” on any post I will receive it, usually within a few hours at the most. I’m not a medical professional, however I’m an evangelical pastor, with my own history of mental illness and major medical problems. I will get right back to you. And I can pray.
See the book Healing for Damaged Emotions for more details, David A. Seamands, Healing for Damaged Emotions (Colorado Springs, Colorado: Chariot Victor Books, 1991) (ISBN: 0896939383). )
- Light in the Darkness (alifeofhopeandjoy.wordpress.com)
- I am the righteousness of God through Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- A Homily on Jesus as the Good Shepherd, our Sacrament (holytraditions.com)