“The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a message of grace. It’s God doing for you what you could not do for yourself. You owe a debt you cannot pay. He paid a debt He didn’t owe. Look at it this way: God treated Jesus Christ as though He had lived your life so that He could treat you as though you had lived Jesus Christ’s life.”
Long ago, something happened. It was the most pivotal and critical event in the history of the universe. It was cosmic and earth-shaking– changing everything. In a real way history has become “His-story” and rightfully so. The complete overhaul and transformation of the human race is to bring Him glory and honor, for ever and ever.
At the heart of this momentous work, is the staggering principle of subsitution. Replacing my life of sin and rebellion, the wonderful life of Jesus is mine. You could say, we have switched places. He became my sin, so I could be righteous. On the cross, God treated Jesus as if He had committed every sin ever committed by every person who would ever believe.
- He was made to be sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (II Corinthians 5:21) (I Corinthians 15:34)
- He was rejected that we might be fully accepted in the beloved. (Isaiah 53:3) (Ephesians 1:6)
- He was bruised that we might be free from emotional bruises and gain a new identity in him. (Isaiah 53:3) (II Corinthians 5:17) (Galatians 2:20)
- He bore our griefs and sorrows that we might be comforted. (Isaiah 53:4). (John 14:18)
- He carried our diseases that we might be healed by his stripes. (Matthew 8:16-17) (I Peter 2:24)
- He was forsaken of the Father that we might be adopted as children of God never to be forsaken. (Matthew 27:46) (Hebrews 13:5)