Is it really depression or just a case of the “blues”? It’s not always easy to tell the difference, especially when an older adult has what seems like good reason to be depressed, such as a chronic illness or loss of a loved one. But depression is very different from the blues in terms of duration and severity.
Most cases of the blues resolve on their own and don’t prevent a person from finding some enjoyment in life. The key components of depression are:
- Duration: The symptoms are present almost all the time and last for more than a few weeks.
- Severity: Depression is usually more severe, causing symptoms that are difficult enough to deal with that they interfere with daily life.
Here are 11 different warning signs of depression. Keep in mind that depressed people don’t all experience the same symptoms, and the severity of symptoms may vary. But if someone exhibits several of these symptoms for more than two weeks, he may need help.
1. Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” feelings
2. Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, or helplessness
3. Frequent crying episodes
4. Increased agitation and restlessness
5. Fatigue and decreased energy
6. Loss of interest in activities or hobbies that once were pleasurable
7. Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
8. Sleeping too much or not enough
9. Poor appetite or overeating
10. Expressing thoughts of dying or suicide
11. Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that don’t ease with treatment
Also, you might check out http://www.caring.com/articles/how-to-help-someone-with-depression
By Stephanie Trelogan, Caring.com senior editor
Copied from http://www.caring.com/articles/depression-signs#
- What are the symptoms of depression? (zocdoc.com)
- What are the Top Ten Signs of Depression? (brighthub.com)
- Could You Have Been Misdiagnosed With Depression? (tweenliklive.wordpress.com)
One thought on “11 Warning Signs of Depression”
Yeah, I have a few of those and take certain meds for it. Celexa, Ambien, Klonopin, Imitrex
Comments are closed.