These are rough notes I just compiled. They seem to be the different ways God guides the broken believer into His purposes and into His Will. I simply hope you’ll be able to extrapolate off them to find a personal direction. These have worked for me for over 30 years of following the Lord Jesus Christ.
“I will lead the blind by a way they do not know,
In paths they do not know I will guide them.
I will make darkness into light before them
And rugged places into plains.
These are the things I will do,
And I will not leave them undone.”
Isaiah 42:16, NASB
I want to lay out some practical ideas for those who desire to hear God. The following are principles to be considered.
A Rascal’s List of Guidance
- Discipline, Hebrew 12:5-11, the “woodshed.”
- Wisdom (a.k.a., yours and other people’s mistakes) Ps. 73:24
- The Word, logos and rhema— corporate, and personal understanding, Isa. 30:21
- Counselors, and advice– Luke 14:31
- Supernatural means, dreams or prophecy seen many times in scripture
- Peace, joy and brokenness, humility— Ps. 25:9
- With His eyes on us, God’s attentiveness to our path
- The church, and its pastors and elders. Jeremiah 3:15
- Opposing counsel from a respected leader helps you count the cost, Agabus in Acts 21
- Family, close friends, relationships (can be secular)
- Duty and loyalty, a requirement for future insight, also faithful in little things
- Quietness and alertness, through prayer/worship. Wait, and wait some more.
- Circumstances, positive or negative, Ps. 32:8
- Testing, temptation– toward godliness always
- Greater servanthood to be had– which way makes me serve in a greater way?
- To give a future and a hope always, Jer. 29:11
- The Book of Proverbs (31 chapters in 31 days is no coincidence)
- Travel, seeing needs of others, and discerning real needs of overseas work
- God’s very nature is to reveal (and He knows your inadequacies)
- Away from error, especially religious cults or the occult, horoscopes, etc.
- God’s glory and for His honor only, Ps. 43:3
In discerning the will of God, you should line up as many as possible— not just one, but several. He sees your eager heart, and He will make things clear. Remember, you must proceed in faith, (Hebrews 11:1, 6), “for we walk by faith, not by sight,” 2 Cor. 5:7.
Any deficiencies or short-comings of this list are exclusively my own. I’m certain you can make your own list and a better version. Feel free to distribute or use as you see fit. “Eat the meat, and spit out the bones.” Remember this verse: “It is God’s privilege to conceal things, and the king’s privilege to discover them.” Proverbs 25:2, NLT.
3 thoughts on “How God Guides Rascals [Direction]”
It’s so important that we go “where God leads us” (as did Abraham) in stead of setting our own goals, isn’t it? Thanks for the reminder, Bryan.
That’s quite a list but I can concur with it! I’ve been following Christ for over 40 years now and probably have and are experiencing all of these in my life. God doesn’t have favorites Bryan! :) Well, actually, that’s not true…….we are ALL His favorites! :)
Comments are closed.