The last two months I’ve been the recipient of some reasonably heavy lessons of understanding. I was just standing in line at the food pantry. I’m learning more here than in my Biblical Doctrine class my first year at Bible college. Amazing! But again, maybe not.
My 10 Commandments of the Food Pantry
- Jesus has a special connection to the poor among us.
- The needs are tremendous as many lack food. (This may be a new concept for some.)
- The Church has the mandate and potential to meet these needs.
- What the government does is often just confusing the real issues.
- The stigma in receiving food seems to be temporary.
- Understanding and wisdom are more important than the box of food.
- People will stand in line for a long time to help their families.
- Most people are nicer than they used to be by going to the food bank.
- Some people’s abundance should be given away.
- You can never have too many boxes to use to carry stuff (and avoid the milk.)
What is worked inside is far more than what we get standing in line. Many things can happen once humility and need does its work inside. There is a powerful comradeship that can develop. Strangers become friendly when they are in line. There is a kind of a mutual understanding that proceeds out of poverty, and takes root, and spreads.
I honestly believe the distribution of food is only the secondary benefit. I really think the spiritual work is the new found work done in people’s hearts. There should be a dignity that saturates this work.
The Church Leader’s Ten Quotes on Giving
- You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. Amy Carmichael
- I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare. C.S. Lewis
- The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom
- Get all you can, save all you can and give all you can. John Wesley
- Christian giving is to be marked by self-sacrifice and self-forgetfulness, not by self-congratulation. John Stott
- God doesn’t look at just what we give. He also looks at what we keep. Randy Alcorn
- Our giving is but a reflex of God’s giving. Sam Storms
- God made all of His creation to give. He made the sun, the moon, the stars, the clouds, the earth, the plants to give. He also designed His supreme creation, man, to give. But fallen man is the most reluctant giver in all of God’s creation. John MacArthur
- Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours. C.S. Lewis
- I will place no value on anything I have or may possess except in relation to the kingdom of Christ. David Livingstone
- Food banks are bursting – so why do 1 out of every 7 Canadian kids still go to school hungry? (metronews.ca)
- Food Pantry Shortages (elishasamuel.wordpress.com)
- Area food pantries see increase in need (newsnet5.com)
- A-K Valley food banks feel the pinch (triblive.com)
One thought on “Food Bank Epiphanies”
I “just” started following your posts, Bryan, and REALLY like what I’m reading as I believe you are truly following the “…Teachings of Jesus Christ…” rather than the “man-made” Christian Religion which He “taught” us to do!
Take Care and God Bless!
Comments are closed.